gravatar

This was perhaps the best Oral Presentation I have ever given, in terms of both the audience, and the topic. I would surely like to mention here that my performance was much better (not the best) than the Oral Presentation 1. I can attribute a reason to that - simply, the topic of Oral Presentation 2 surely interested me. It was one of the topics that I have been exploring a lot since the start of this semester.

As I see myself in the video of the presentation, I find that there is scope of improvement in the areas of - eye contact, better expressions and perhaps a bit slower pace. But, personally I am quite happy with the way I improved from OP1.

The presentation had good content and I feel , the video on Cloud Computing was a good option to tell the audience about Cloud Computing. Since Cloud Computing is a complex topic, getting the idea across to the audience by explaining with slides would have been difficult. Given the short time, the video quickly covered all the points of Cloud Computing and also aroused interest among the audience.


The main objective for which we had set out – Implementing Cloud Computing in NUS, I think was achieved – not in the practical sense, but in a sense that we were able to get the idea across to the concerned authorities. The idea that I have (and which I came across quite late in the research for this problem) is the shift of NUS email from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps. It was just that we could not put that up in the slides, but I did demonstrate it during the Q&A session. Regarding this issue, I will definitely follow up with the concerned authorities in NUS.

Other issues such as team dynamics – they were simply awesome for this Oral Presentation. The flow of the presentation was good and everybody took full interest in the topic. There were some instances when the technical stuff touched higher levels and we were a bit lost. That was perhaps the only problem we faced. Otherwise, everybody was quite relaxed and confident during the presentation.

I look forward to more research and team work efforts like this in the future CEG modules.


-------------------------------

Here are some of the links that you might be interested in -

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/switch_exchange.html

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/exchangemigration

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/switch_exchange_resources.html#benefits

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-google-apps-still-a-tiny-business-only-50-million-a-year-but-microsoft-should-be-in-major-panic-mode-2010-3?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29


gravatar

Hi Angad,

It is apparent that you took a really keen interest in computing itself. That, itself, is a major boost to your convincing prowess. You showed us your enthusiasm and at the same time wasn't too caught up in it(i.e. you did not speak like a machine-gun :P), hence adding variation and improved understanding on our part.

However, I feel that the presentation can be a little dry at times and a little bit too technical. Whilst, I understand that all of us had read your wiki beforehand, I still wasn't quite sure of the whole idea of cloud computing both before and after the presentation.

Despite that, I felt that you had performed very well. The introduction video was really interesting and enlightening. :) Also, the invitation of your guest audience took you a step further than what the rest of us did. :)

You did great! :D Keep it up!


Yours sincerely,
Juncheng Chen

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I agree that having interest is an important factor when it comes to presentations. By having interest in the subject, one will be able to show more confidence which in turns, sparks and generates interest amongst the audience.

For a "noob" like me who hasn't heard of cloud computing before, your presentation was definitely an eye opener. However, I believe more could have been done. An example would be using your own way of presentation to showcase the idea of cloud computing instead of using one from youtube. I felt a bit disappointed then as I was expecting a lot more from your group :p ( However, videos are still a good way to present an idea effectively. Im not saying it was bad )

Overall, throughout your presentation, I could feel your enthusiasm and excitement which was very good. If you can exude this confidence for future presentations, that would definitely be an asset to you.

Yours sincerely,
Junhao Quek, C04E

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I see that you are very excited about everything related to computing, therefore you must have been very familiar with the content of your presentation. I think that's why you look very confident and talk fluently.

At first I did not know what really cloud computing is, but after watching the video, it is much clearer. Actually it would be better if you explain it a bit more to us as almost all of us doesn't know anything about cloud computing.

And I don't know that your group want to introduce the audiences (CEG students) about cloud computing, or suggest implementing cloud computing in NUS, because according to the guest, cloud computing project has already been started by NUS Computer center.

After all, I think you have performed well in the presentation, and also your group invited a real guest, which I think will have a Plus point because all other team doesn't have.

Yours sincerely,
Tuan Vu

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I think your presentation was quite successful!

Before your presentation, I did not have a clear concept of cloud computing in my mind. However, as your group clearly demonstrated the idea, I had a better understanding of cloud computing.

However, regarding the oral presentation, I think you were still a bit nervous on the stage. But with more practice, your presentation skills will surely improve!

Yours sincerely,
Xiangyu

gravatar

@Juncheng:
Well I understand that the presentation got a bit technical but I think that those points could not be avoided. We had a technical person sitting right in front of us so we had to make sure that we do not lower the technical standards of our presentation.

Moreover, we as CEG students should not be afraid of technical stuff. This is what we are going to do for the rest of our lives :)

Anyway thanks for the encouraging words.


@Junhao:
I am not good in flash and video design, though could have learnt. But I think using a video from Youtube was much better than making my own. Its better to use the information that is available in such excellent quality than to re-invent the wheel.
It was sad that you are a bit disappointed. I will definitely try and make sure that I put in more effort.
Thanks for the encouragement.

@Tuan:
Again, I would mention here that since we had a highly technical person sitting with us, I was afraid to go to the root basics. Though I think the video covered all the aspects.
And regarding our objective, we actually had a dual point - we wanted to make students aware about Cloud Computing and also have some features of Cloud Computing introduced in NUS. NUS already has some aspects and is implementing some more for cloud computing. We stressed on the other points which NUS has not explored.
Anyway, thanks for the comments :)

@Xiangyu:
Yeah, I was a bit nervous :) Seeing my standards in the first OP, I think i was a lot less nervous. But there is always room for improvement.

gravatar

Hi Angad,
Your presentation topic was really informative as beforehand I didn't have any idea about cloud computing.
Regarding your presentation style,you spoke with confidence and maintained good eye contact with the audience.I feel that you should slow down your pace making use of pauses.This would also give the audience time to digest the facts.Content wise,your knowledge on the topic was excellent.
Overall,your presentation went on smoothly and your group has done a wonderful job:)All the best for oral defense!!
Cheers,
Meenu

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I agree with you that this oral presentation has seen improvements since the first one. You presented as if you wanted us, the audience, to work with you on this plan. And that is the whole purpose of this presentation; to convince and persuade some action from the audience.

The video at the start was a creative new way to strike a deep impression. It helped your presentation a lot by explaining the technical aspects of cloud computing.

However, I did not manage to grasp the real problem faced. Seeing that this project focuses on problem solving, it would have been beneficial for your presentation if your team stated clearly the problem and how the solution would help minimise them.

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I agree with you that this oral presentation has seen improvements since the first one. You presented as if you wanted us, the audience, to work with you on this plan. And that is the whole purpose of this presentation; to convince and persuade some action from the audience.

The video at the start was a creative new way to strike a deep impression. It helped your presentation a lot by explaining the technical aspects of cloud computing.

However, I did not manage to grasp the real problem faced. Seeing that this project focuses on problem solving, it would have been beneficial for your presentation if your team stated clearly the problem and how the solution would help minimise them.