gravatar

Reflection : The Ultimate One : Learning outcomes

So here we are, at the end of the journey of the module that taught us "team-work" and "communication". It was a nice journey that took us through many ups and downs, success and failures and of course, a learning path for our future endeavors.

We worked in teams to produce a project for the module CG1102, applying the principles from this module. My team consisted of Junius and Rayner for CG1102 and Kevin, Khoa and Jing Mei for CG1413 problem solving approach. I acknowledge their efforts in the team and hope to work with them again. It was a semester full of high team activity, sunday meetings and a lot of collective hard-work to achieve the goals.

The module CG1413 really taught some important points that we applied in all the team work assignments and will also apply later on. I would like to list the major learning outcomes here -
1) Conflict Resolution
2) Being an effective team member (or a leader)
3) Understanding Verbal and Non-Verbal cues
4) Effective writing skills through blogs

I really appreciate all the above values taught in this module as they would surely be handy in all my other team-work modules and also in my future job which would require team-work. Understanding the person is the first step to work with the person.

For my CG1102 assignments I would say something regarding team-work which I had also mentioned in my Oral Defence report : For programmers to work in teams, we need to know how to use the basic software that allows team-work - the Version Control System. Since each person is programming on different features, it becomes difficult to keep track of the code in a team.
This is the only flaw that I found in the 1102 assignments. It would have been helpful if we were taught how to set up and use SVN. (Sorry for the technical term here, but the concept is understandable :P)

Again, it was good to work with people from different cultural backgrounds and even different speaking accents. No other course would have taught us this.
I was the team leader for my CG1102 programming team and it helped me gain insights on how to manage a programming team and how to allocate work based on the assignment. Going into long discussions with Junius was interesting :)

In the end here I would say that I have learnt a lot in both the modules. I am quite happy to have passed QET exam to take the CG1413 module this semester. Computer Engineering is the most innovative courses in NUS and the approach is organised well. No other discipline allows such exposure. I am proud of being a part of the course.

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I am glad that you had a very fruitful, hectic yet enjoyable semester! :)

Personally, I haven't had the chance to assume an "official" leadership position as I had always been fearful of the responsibilities. Hence, I respect you for having led your CG1102 team so well as the team leader. :)

I agree with you that being able to understand verbal cue/non-verbal cues is a great asset to have. It enables us to know which non-verbal cues we should avoid/facilitate depending on the kind of emotions we want to express. Additionally, since non-verbal communication makes up for more than 50% of the communication process, it makes it all the more important to be aware if one's body language.

Presentation-wise, I also think you did an excellent job. You were able to deliver your content with much efficacy. Additionally, you handled the Q & As elegantly and unhesitatingly. I hope to be able to present as well as you one day. :)

In overall, I think your performance is really stellar. :) Keep it up and you will be on your way to stardom! :)

Good luck and... Well done! :D


Yours sincerely,
Juncheng Chen

gravatar

Hi Angad,

The combination of CG1413 and CG1102 is indeed very interesting and has lots of potential. I definitely agree with you that this has opened up our insights to a different level.

Throughout this semester, I am often impressed by the various ideas you came up with. Through your blogs, I learnt of etherpad, cloud computing and various tech information which I wont have known otherwise. :)

I look forward to working with you in future assignments. Cheers~ and Good Luck!

Yours sincerely,
Junhao Quek

gravatar

Hi Angad,

Although I did not have a chance to work with you in a team, I’m still impressed with the way you get all the work done. I have to say that you are really hard-working; many times I went to COM1 and I saw your group had a meeting.

After looking at your Oral Presentation 1, I realized that our design for the CG1102 project is very limited and hard to develop in the future. It’s good that you have your design correctly from the beginning and I think you have leaded your team very well.

I agree with you that in this module we had a chance to work with people from different countries and culture. You and I are both foreigners, but I see that you had overcomes that differences very well and have a good job in this module.

I wish that I will have a chance to work with you in a team in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Tuan Vu.

gravatar

//THIS IS A COMMENT BY JING MEI. DUE TO SOME TECHNICAL REASON, SHE COULD NOT POST THE COMMENT ON MY BLOG, SO SHE E-MAILED HER COMMENT TO ME :)



Hi Angad,

It was a good experience to work with you for the problem solving project. Thank you for the explanations on the technical parts of the project and the efforts you put in for the project.

I agreed with you that the CG1102 project was messy because we had to split the projects into different parts. I was impressed by your user interface design of the project in the first presentation. It is something new and we did not learn it before. I think you lead well as a group leader, to be able to make the group come up with such fabulous design.

Also, I would have to learn the skills of how to make impromptu speeches from you. You are a good speaker who can phrase and express your ideas clearly.

Hope that we could work together again in the future! :)


Jing Mei

gravatar

Hi Angad,

I had an enjoyable experience working with you and Rayner too. You were a great leader for our CG1102 project. I think that one key aspect of a good leader is the ability to make your team mates good team members. When you wrote down the skeleton of the lab codes, I found it very easy to continue with the progress. This somewhat gave us a sort of natural responsibility to follow up and force us to be active.

You also never fail to consistently update our current agenda. This dynamic way of keeping a clear view of our objectives improved the team’s efficiency and productivity.

I feel that you have understood an important part of the module i.e. to effectively use the communication and teamwork skills for the rest of the course and even apply it to our future jobs.